2.07.2008

Joel 1:11

I usually do not use this blog to share about my devotional time and what God is teaching me...however today I cannot resist. 

Today, I was reading in Joel and these words pierced me: 

Joel 1:11 - Be ye ashamed, O ye husbandmen; howl, O ye vinedressers, for the wheat and for the barley; because the harvest of the field is perished. 

What a sobering thought! We as husbandmen and vinedressers of the harvest fields of earth ought to be ashamed that the harvest of souls (Matthew 9:37-38) is perishing and we are doing so little about it! We can't let them perish without telling them about God's redemptive plan!

Every second two people die! The harvest of the field are perishing! What are we doing about it? Have we any burden for their souls or are we like Jonah, preferring comfort rather than obedience?

"If sinners will be damned", Spurgeon once exhorted, "at least let them leap to hell over our bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

4 comments:

Hindsey said...

Great post, Michael, Thanks for the exhortation.

Victoria said...

I never got to church last night, but between you and another blogger, I got a whole service-worth! Thanks!

Mr. Young said...

Thanks for that Mike, I read right over that this week. Thanks for putting a spotlight on what I needed to see, and missed.

Louise R. said...

I recently read from Dr. J. Vernon McGee on 2 ways to study the bible. He mentioned that,1 We should look at it through a telescope and 2 to examine it through a microscope and that God's spirit will teach us. Thanks for being the microscope today. I have read that passage before but only skimming it thru. Thank you for adding light on to it and encouraging us to spread the word.