2.19.2008

Acts 20:35

Deputation has afforded me plenty of great opportunities I would not otherwise have. One of the things the Lord has allowed is for me to spend time with some of my heroes. As a result of deputation, I have had coffee with Dr. Charles Keen. I have had breakfast with Billy Wood. Today, I had lunch with Pastor Whiteside.

Yeah. It was a blessing.

For three hours we fellowshipped and discussed God’s greatness. He bragged on God the whole time. He talked about how God has done the miraculous over and over again in his 46 years of ministry. 46 years (!!!) of winning the lost and planting churches.

After lunch, he brought me to the site of his latest church plant on a military base in NJ. It is all framed with metal studs and ready to be drywalled. It will be the only Baptist church near three military bases. It looks great so far! It is just $50,000 away from completion and then they will start having services there!

When we discussed our ministry to Italy...he told me he was behind our ministry and wanted to help us get there. Then...despite the $50,000 he needs to finish this church building and despite him being a missionary himself...he gave us an envelop filled with cash. The amount is unimportant - but one of the largest offerings we have ever received.

I want to be like Doug Whiteside.

A missionary - who after 46 years in the ministry is showing no signs of letting up!
A missionary - but one known for his giving not his taking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Whiteside for your great example!

1 Corinthians 11:1
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Kevin P said...

Hallelujah! This man is a blessing! Wow - 46 years... praise the LORD!