3.16.2008

Psalm 73:1

I once had the opportunity to have lunch with Dr. Charles Shoemaker regarding our then upcoming deputation. During that lunch, he mentioned I should try to get into Crossroads Baptist Church because "...they have the best Missions Conference in the country!" 

So far...I think he is right!

We got to our hotel yesterday and were greeted with a bag of goodies, two gas gift cards, and a letter from the pastor! 


Oh...and the hotel is the finest we have ever stayed in!



Last night we went to the church for an orientation dinner. All the staff and many church members were there. Everyone, I mean everyone knew our names. They knew our girls names too. They have been praying for us and learning about the missionaries for the last two months. I am wondering what to share tomorrow night when I present...because it seems like they know all about our ministry already! 

This morning as we walked through the church people would stop and say, "Michael! So happy to have you! Where is Erika and the girls?" Crazy. Erika taught two elementary classes today and I taught two adult Sunday school classes. All the people seem much more than missions-minded...more like missions-hearted. 

This church is a blessing. We are just a family doing our reasonable service, and yet this church is treating us much better than we deserve. We are overwhelmed at the goodness of God to us! 

8 comments:

Hindsey said...

Michael, I think you ought to write a book: True Deputation Opposed to the Horror Stories Usually Given.

Praise the Lord for His blessings on your travels.

And, great post too. Nice and short, easy to read!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Andy - tell me about it! The horror stories have just not been the case for us! I am not sure if it is just about having the right attitude, but I know that we went into deputation thinking it was "a necessary evil" and that is not true. Nothing evil about the fellowship and blessings we continually get!

Anonymous said...

Deputation isnt over yet. ;)

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Nelson -

There is a great book out on how to be an encouragement to missionaries - Serving as Senders is the title. You should read it!

Janice said...

I like Andy's perspective much better! I am so encouraged by your experiences and testimony of deputation!

I look forward to it for another reason as well... it will mean my hubby is in possession of an NSBI diploma!

Praying for you all!

ps... we are working on the list, and paper, and praying for the right "peeps"... encouraging ones! :)

Anonymous said...

Someone has had my book for a few weeks and hasn't given it back yet. ;)

Unknown said...

best mission conference... i'm going to talk to the FBBC mission pastor to see about dropping support for missionaries that don't like their home church's missions conference... ;) glad you guys are having fun and being blessed.

JulieMom said...

We were at that church before, and yes they are a blessing!!

Our deputation was an incredible experience. Only one really weird church in FL, but I won't talk about that here...(but you can ask me later).

Praise God He is good!! I'm really happy for you guys. :0)