9.29.2008

What Missionaries Do Not Want You to Know! - By Slava Fesyuk

I always wondered what a day in the life of a missionary was like...so i decided to make a few sacrifices and embark on a journey with the Barone family to Connecticut.

Our adventure began as we arrived at our hotel for the next two nights. My expectations for our room was nothing more than the essentials: two mattress’ and a bathroom. As i opened the door, i realized that my preconceived notions where way off, as i marveled at the modern, Starbucks-like room...overflowing with “non-essentials.” Unless of course, your definition of “essentials” include a t.v. the size of an SUV and an exquisite L-shaped sofa in the second room.

But all the bliss at the time, would never prepare me for the following day...when I was convinced we would feel the “hardship” of a missionary. We awoke Sunday morning ready to tackle the day, when I noticed my dress shirt was wrinkled. Although provided with an iron and a board, it was quit useless, since I had never used those two before. Things only got worse, when I came to the sad realization that I had to tie my own tie. Thinking quickly on my feet, using the hotel’s high-speed wireless, I googled my need...“how to tie a tie?” That really didn’t help. Luckily, Michael had “some” experience in this area - so off to church we went.

The service went really well. We began with 45 minutes of prayer. The people were very friendly. Kind. Loving. They made us feel right at home. Many were interested in the mission to Italy. We were approached like celebrities at the Academy Awards.


As church was coming to a close and I heard my stomach begin to growl...I quickly discovered the first possible hardship of the day. Would there be any food to sustain us for the day? Umm...yes! The pastor and his wife unexpectedly asked us to join them at a restaurant of our choosing. That was a great time. Afterward - Ice cream followed....a whole lot of it.

It was here that I finally saw the problems missionaries have to encounter and the burdens they bare. For example, I couldn’t finish the 3 pounds of vanilla underneath the snicker-bar crumbs. The ice cream was melting and the napkins were limited.

I’m now beginning to see the bigger picture....my prayer life for missionaries has changed forever.

p.s. If I can be serious for a mere 2 minutes.....the truth of my experience was more along these lines: I am deeply grateful that I was given the opportunity to take a glimpse into the life of a missionary. The service was an encouragement....as Michael came up to preach, it was evident that God was gonna have His way. He easily connected with the people, as he presented his burden for Italy, preached from the Word of God, and shared his experiences during deputation. I have a much greater appreciation for missionaries, their families, their struggles, their needs, but also their joys and many blessings.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the trip is going well! I wondered where Marco and Slava went...
~orange girl

Anonymous said...

hahaha! Oh man... yes. This truly sounds like a tough life to live... well at least the way Slava said it :)I'm glad you guys are enjoying your time tho. Praying for you all!

p.s. and I love how the Russians still don't smile... even after being treated so well! No appreciation from them...
-Liv-

Anonymous said...

treated well, yes. but after all....we are Russians. it would almost be disrespectful if we attempted to "smile"...much easier said than done. Michael has experience...Pastor was caught up in the joyous moment...me and marco said, "this is who we are..."

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Liv - it was hard enough getting them to wear a tie - no chance I was also going to get them to smile. I am no miracle worker!

Janice said...

Still... They should act even better when they are out! I mean come on... back at home we all know them- they don't ever smile. But being at a missions conference! And after being treated like nothing short of royalty- I would expect a little more out of you two. But I guess you are only Russian humans... I was just hoping for a little more out of you two. Maybe next time...
-Liv-

Anonymous said...

Wait, I am Russian and I smile. What's up with Russians can't smile?... -dfes

Michael & Erika Barone said...

True David - however I know a bunch that don't and they ruin it for the rest of you! : )

Anonymous said...

yeah, your right mr. Barone, they ruin it for the rest of us. Got to live with it....lol -dfes