9.05.2007

Romans 14:17

The Difference Between the Kingdom of Heaven and the Kingdom of God

I really like taking pastors out to lunch. I like going to lunch with pastors because it gives us 45 minutes of time to discuss my call and burden for the field of Italy as well as so much more! It also gives me the opportunity to talk about missions with experienced men of God and glean wisdom from the pastors.

Well, during these lunch meetings it also gives pastors an opportunity to ask me questions. They usually ask about our plans for the field and missions philosophy and about my family. Sometimes they ask about doctrine.

Recently I was having lunch with a pastor when he stated, “Michael, I am going to ask you a question that the possibility of you having a meeting at my church hinges on.”

I replied, “Okay” - really hoping I had the right answer to the question up my sleeve!!

He asked, What, if any, is the difference between the terms “kingdom of heaven” and the “kingdom of God”?”

I started laughing out loud when he said it, hoping that an opportunity at his church truly did not hinge on this question because I thought for sure I was not going to answer the question how he wanted me to.

I answered it truthfully. I refuse to be something or someone I am not. I told him I understood the issue and I gave my supporting verses for why I believe that they are.....(well that is another topic)

He replied that he completely agreed. (Whew!) He proceeded to state that he was kidding about the meeting hinging on the question. We laughed.

I really like taking pastors out to lunch! It is fun!

8 comments:

Hindsey said...

That's awesome! You, using verses to support your answer!

Just kiddin' of course.

It is 'exciting' to meet manifold and various people from different churches.

Anonymous said...

Praise God!!

jen said...

so, what's the difference, if any?? :-)

Janice said...

You really should have taken the time to post the entire conversation... People like to read long posts... and it would make you look really smart!

Hindsey said...

Michael,

Why have you not answered Jen's comment?

Anonymous said...

I personally enjoy reading blogs and stories. Keep the news coming! God Bless you!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

OK - for those not familiar with the issue:

Some Bible interpreters believe that the term "kingdom of heaven" is always referring to the Jewish earthly kingdom and the term "kingdom of God" is always referring to the universal kingdom for the body of Christ. They come to this conclusion because the gospel of Matthew is a Jewish book and only uses the term "kingdom of heaven" while the other gospel writers use "kingdom of God."

The reason I would disagree with this belief is because multiple times in the same account of a particular parable the different gospel writers use both terms indicating that the two are interchangeable.

For example, here are a few:

Matthew 11:11 - Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Luke 7:28 - For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he.

or

Matthew 13:24 - Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:

Mark 4:26 - And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground;

or

Matthew 19:14 - But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Mark 10:14 - But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

In all of these events, Matthew uses the phrase "kingdom of heaven" while Mark and Luke use "kingdom of God" speaking of the same thing. I understand that some would say that each of these events happened twice, however I believe that is impossible considering the contexts being the same each time. In light of these passages and others, I believe that the two terms are interchangeable and the immediate context determines which kingdom is being spoken of.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you included lot's of verses to support your answer. Who knows, one of those verses just might make someones day! May God bless you in your work!