9.05.2007

Philippians 1:27

I do not want meetings anymore!

I decided this after I had lunch with a pastor recently.

I was a little taken back at a lunch meeting recently when the pastor asked, “So, you want a meeting right?” Honestly, I do not remember how I answered the question at the time. As I rehearsed the question in my mind afterward, I realized my answer to his question. Believe it or not, my answer is "No!" I do not want a meeting. That is not my goal. If a meeting is my family showing up at a church, I preach, they possibly take us on for support, and then we just become another picture on their missions wall - I do not want a meeting.

My goal is not meetings. I want partnerships. I want the church to know us personally, and believe in what we are doing. I want more than just a meeting. I want supporting churches that want to strive together with us for the faith of the gospel. I want them to feel they are truly a part of our ministry in Italy, not just another missionary they send support to.

I am convinced that churches should support less missionaries but support the fewer missionaries better. Better contact. Better communication. More interest. More prayer on their behalf. I am not sure how likely this is, but I am going to do my part to have a group of supporting churches that we did not just have a meeting at. I am going to try with everything I have to have a group of supporting churches that truly want to partner with us as we reach the unreached villages of Italy.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

I know our church supports quite a few missionaries, but there are several that have a special place in our hearts. We do feel more a part of their lives and fields and it's a neat feeling - having an ambassador over there for many of us who are still working here at home. Praying!

Michael & Erika Barone said...

Victoria - Thanks for the comment! That is exactly what I want to strive for - where the church body feels part of the ministry and takes an interest in us!

Hindsey said...

People are much more likely to care for and pray for their friends. When you become a friend to your supporters, that's when this will be accomplished.

Anonymous said...

I think you are right. I know it's harder to remember to pray for someone you don't know. I believe that making friends with the people of the churches will help alot. I also want you to know that I'm Praying for you and your family. God Bless you, Samm Rypkema

Anonymous said...

I know a lot of the missionaries that we support at our church. And I have to say, It is easier to pray for the people you really know. I will keep you in my prayers as you travel and get to know the people in other churches.
May God bless you in many way's!!!